RECYCLABLES COLLECTION CONTRACT
NOTICE TO BIDDERS
The Borough of Hellertown solicits bids for the collection of recyclable materials in the Borough of Hellertown, Northampton County, Pennsylvania. Sealed, written bids shall be received at Hellertown Borough Municipal Complex, 685 Main Street, Hellertown, PA
18055, until 11:00 a.m., Thursday, October 15, 2020, on forms provided by the Borough. All bids so received shall be opened and read that same day, at 11:00 a.m., in Council Chambers, at the Municipal Complex. Borough Council shall consider the award of the bid at their regular meeting at 7:00 p.m., Monday, November 2, 2020. Copies of the bid specifications and contract documents may be obtained at the Municipal Complex at a cost of $25 during regular business hours or from the Borough’s web site www.hellertownborough.org
A bid bond, drawn to the order of the Borough of Hellertown, in an amount equal to ten percent (10%) of the amount of the bid, shall be submitted with the bid proposal. Such bid bond may be in the form of cash, money order, certified or cashier’s check, or bond with corporate surety.
Bid proposals shall be submitted in a sealed envelope marked:
“BID FOR RECYCLABLES COLLECTION, BOROUGH OF HELLERTOWN, PA.”
There is no pre-bid conference.
The number of residential units for which bidder shall be required to collect recyclables is estimated at 2,683 and 16 commercial uses.
Borough Council hereby reserve the right, which is understood by and agreed to by all bidders, to refuse or reject any and all bids submitted; to waive any informalities irregularity or defect in the bids or the bidding process; and, to award the bid in a manner which Council, at their sole discretion, feel is in the best interest of the Borough.
No bidder shall withdraw a bid that has been submitted for a period of sixty (60) days after the date of the bid opening.
NEW ROUND OF FACADE GRANTS AVAILABLE
What it is: This program is designed to assist downtown businesses in making exterior renovations to their front facades. It will provide for matching 1 to 1 reimbursement grants for façade improvements in the Borough of Hellertown up to a maximum amount of $10,000 per property.
Up to $3,000 of the $10,000 maximum in grant funding can be used for Streetscape-level improvements to your property, whereby you can receive one dollar in façade grant money for every two dollars you invest into these types of improvements.
Why invest: The Façade Program is intended to stimulate private investment in the preservation of historic downtown architecture and to foster image-making improvements to properties.
- Benefits to property owners include: Higher rents, more stable leases, increased occupancy rates, improved marketability and higher property values.
- Benefits to business owner include: Increased sales, improve image and visibility of your business, increases exposure, creates an inviting atmosphere and reduce overhead.
- Benefits to the community include: Help create a sense of place, enhance safety and cleanliness, recruit better employees, develop a more stable tax base and reduce pressure for sprawl development.
Eligible properties: Any business or business property owner (excluding government or non-profit entities) within the following map are eligible:
Project Boundaries: On Main Street: from Walnut Street through Kichline Avenue
On Water Street: from Front Street to Delaware Avenue
All of Front Street: from E. Thomas
Avenue to Walnut Street
- Eligible Facade Level Activities
(Require a $1 match for every grant $1 – maximum of a $10,000 grant allocation)
Brick and Stone Masonry, Architectural Metals, Doors, Windows, Exterior Woodwork, Storefronts, Signage, Painting, Awnings, Lighting, Shutters, Power Washing, Roofing , Gutters, Design Assistance (see “Eligible Activities” Section in the Policies and Procedures document for more detailed information)
- Eligible Streetscape Level Activities
(Require a $2 match for every grant $1 – up to a $3,000 grant allocation, which counts towards the $10,000 maximum per property)
Sidewalks, street trees, fences, retaining walls, other site improvements (as approved on a case by case basis)
- Ineligible Activities
Landscaping (with the exception of street trees), benches, trash cans, paving, parking lots, and sandblasting are not eligible activities.
- Review guidelines
- File Notice of Intent to Apply form (complete); await word on eligibility
- Pursue Design Assistance (not required – but encouraged)
- Fill out a formal application for a Façade Grant
- Façade Grants are awarded by the Hellertown Planning Commission; await word on the status of your application
- Complete a reimbursement agreement (if project is approved)
- Begin construction (please note – any work completed before the reimbursement agreement is signed will not be eligible for reimbursement)
- Complete construction, obtain all necessary materials and submit for a reimbursement check
- Receive reimbursement check
For more information: Please note that this is only a general overview of this program. For a full copy of the policies and procedures, please contact Cathy Hartranft at 610-838-7041.